About the Museum »» Historical Review


In 1945, the Government of Armenia made a decision to give a house to the great poet on his 70th anniversary, as a birthday present. The house was built by the plan of architect Pertchanoush Msrian and, according to the poet’s wish; it was constructed with black polished tufa. It is a two storied house and, due to its triangle-cupola and entrance-porch, bears a resemblance to an Armenian chapel.


Next to the main entrance, under the arched stone roof of the second floor, there is a small balcony. The six stone stairs are leading up to the front door. The long, large summer balcony is in the back yard with a pretty garden in front of it, extending to the right. On both sides of the main entrance, there are beautiful flower-gardens.

  The opening ceremony of
Av. Isahakian Memorial-Museum
The vice minister of the Ministry of Culture S. Gasparian is making a speech.
From the left: Ya. Zarobian, T. Hakhoumian, S. Vahouni, A. Toumanian.
From the right: St. Zorian, L. Stepanian, T. Toumanian, and others.

Since 1946, Isahakian had lived in this house together with his family. After his death in 1958, in reference to 1st May 67-P decision of the Council of Ministers of the Armenian SSR Avetik Isahakian’s house was changed into memorial museum with the purpose to immortalize the name of the eminent Armenian poet.

The house underwent to some changes: a big hall and studies were built on the back part of the second floor; the wooden balcony and the staircase were faced with stone.

On the 31st October, 1963, the opening of the museum took place solemnly.

Later, the Memorial house has been renovated twice and the present exposition is the third one.

Home | Top

About the Museum »» Museum Staff



The activities of the memorial museum are: the maintenance, accounting and investigation of the museum collection, as well as, informing the public about the literary inheritance of Isahakian with the help of the permanent exposition and various temporary exhibitions, events and lectures.
The aim and mission of this cultural center is to protect and pass to younger generations the sacred relics and material evidences that are connected with the great poet and are bearing the sign of his ingenious hand.